5 Tidbits of Tennessee Trivia
1. Tennessee joined the Union on June 1, 1796.
According to AwesomeAmerica.com, the name Tennessee comes from the old Yuchi Indian word, “Tana-see,” meaning “The Meeting Place.”
2. Three Indian tribes inhabited Tennessee.
Three groups of Native Americans lived in the Tennessee region. Cherokee claimed Middle Tennessee for hunting, Chickasaw lived in West Tennessee, and Creek lived in the southeastern region.
3. Forget California; the largest U.S. earthquake took place in Tennessee.
The New Madrid Earthquake occurred in the winter of 1811-12 in Tennessee. Reelfoot Lake was formed during this earthquake.
4. Among its famous citizens are ….
Frontiersman Davy Crockett, Presidents Andrew Jackson, Andrew Johnson and James K. Polk, singers Dolly Parton, Aretha Franklin, Amy Grant and Justin Timberlake, Cherokee leader Sequoyah, and athlete Wilma Rudolph.
5. How many of these Tennessee state songs can you sing?
They include “My Homeland, Tennessee” “When It’s Iris Time in Tennessee”, “My Tennessee”, “Tennessee Waltz”, and “Rocky Top.”